Things to Do in NYC On a Budget
It’s hard to believe the spring semester of Newhouse NYC is over. We asked the students to reflect on their time in NYC, and here is what spring Newhouse NYC student and rising ADV senior Mike Quagliana had to share about having fun in NYC…on a budget.
1. Walk the Manhattan Bridge: Traveling by foot comes at no cost at all, and there’s something new to see on every block. For a breathtaking view of the lower Manhattan skyline, venture across the Manhattan Bridge on a sunny day. The Freedom Tower, Statue of Liberty, and Brooklyn Bridge are in line of sight. Your Instagram followers are sure to be impressed too.
2. Eat: For every ritzy five-star restaurant in NYC, there’s a dirt-cheap alternative for a college student on a budget. Pick up dollar slices between 32nd and 33rd on Madison Ave before heading to class at the Fisher Center. If you’re staying at EHS on the Upper East Side, there’s no shortage of options on 3rd Ave either. For brunch try the Barking Dog Restaurant (94th), for burgers try Shake Shack (86th), and for hoagies try Roma Pizza (88th).
3. Brooklyn Nets Game: Neither of the New York basketball teams found much success this year, but at least the Nets’ ticket prices dropped accordingly. The Barclays Center might not have the history that Madison Square Garden has, but it surely makes up for in state-of-the-art design. If you’re not a Nets fan, try catching a game when your team is in town and be sure to ask about the student discount.
4. World Trade Center: If you’ve never been, head down to the Financial District and walk around the World Trade Center. You’ll constantly be looking up in amazement at the larger-than-life One World Trade (formerly known as the Freedom Tower). It’s an incredible sight, and the memorial serves as a sobering reminder of the events of September 11, 2001.
5. Working Out: If you’re living at EHS for the semester, take advantage of the gym in the basement. When the weather gets bad you don’t even have to leave the building to go for a run. They have all the necessary weight training equipment, too, and it’s usually never very busy throughout the day. Release some internship/class stress by making gains on the weekends.
6. Concerts: Keep an eye on the concert schedules during your semester in the city. Chances are your favorite artists will be coming to New York at least once during your stay. Check for performances at Terminal 5, Bowery Ballroom, and Irving Plaza for some surprisingly affordable ticket prices. There will be a show to go to every night of the week. Of course you never know when Kanye West will decide to shut down Madison Square Park for a free show either.
7. Javits Center: The Javits Center is far on the east side, but it might just host an exposition that you’ll find to be worth your time. For spring semester students, I highly recommend attending the New York Auto Show in April. You’ll see the most impressive vehicles on the planet, many of which won’t be released for another few years. Manufacturers such as Bugatti, McLaren, Koenigsegg, Lamborghini, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and more are all on display.
8. Central Park: You don’t even have to leave Manhattan to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Whether you’re going for a run, eating lunch, or throwing around a baseball with a friend, Central Park is your go-to destination. It’s just four blocks west of EHS, and it’s a perfect retreat during warm weather.
9. AOL Build Series: Take advantage of all the perks that Newhouse NYC offers. One of those perks is the AOL Build Series, which brings in celebrity guest speakers to the AOL offices at 770 Broadway. Adam Scott, Olivia Wilde, Warren Moon, Kevin James, and many other big names all spoke during spring semester, and Newhouse students were always invited to attend.
10. Museums: The great thing about the museums in New York is that most will cost you as much as you’re willing to spend. You could spend all day in the Museum of Natural History and still not have the time to see all of the exhibits. The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art are popular destinations as well.